Monday 7 January 2013

First post of 2013

So here we are in 2013. Holiday time is well and truly over at Brand DNA and it's back to work with a vengeance today.

During the break I intended to put together a little Top 10 ads of 2012 list but I found that a lot of the ads on my list were from overseas.

That list was tossed into the bin and I set about a whole new list based on the best ads I had seen on Australian TV last year.

Ads that appeared during the shows I watched.

Turns out my list wasn't a list at all. It was a rant.

A rant about how our Australian TV networks ruin programs with way too many ads.

So many ads in fact that I rarely watch TV as it is broadcast. Preferring instead to start recording a show then start watching it 10 to minutes after it began.

This way I can jump through the seemingly endless ad breaks.

I suspect I'm not the only person who does this. And I wonder what the TV networks are going to do about it.

That's if they do anything about it.

Personally I think it's up to the media agencies like Mindshare, Mediacom and co to take a stand and generate some real value for their clients by demanding the TV networks rethink their approach to selling ad space.

Because as far as I can see that ad space is annoying the shit out of viewers at the moment.

And I have it on very good authority that most of those viewers are more than happy to resort to bit-torrent to avoid the advertising overload in their favourite new shows.