Monday 9 July 2012

Legal eagles my arse

Is there a bigger killer of creativity than the client legal dept?

I think not.

In fact I've been banging on about it for years.

Problem is most (actually all) of the account service people I've worked with are younger than me.

So they've grown up with the problem and hence don't really see it as a problem.

And before you roll your eyes this is not an ageist rant.

It's a when are clients going to stop our 'learned friends' in the legal dept from ruining copy and headlines with annoying asterisks rant?

Case is point - the headline above from a Qantas ad in today's paper.

I very much doubt when the copywriter wrote that headline that they would have envisioned it requiring an asterisk after the word name.

But then along came a risk adverse legal eagle and bingo. An utterly unnecessary asterisk.

Madness I tell ya. Madness.