Tuesday 10 January 2012

Work vs Waste


Recently I've been working concurrently on two projects with two different art directors.

Like most independent contractors and consultants we often get together in cafes to work.

An hour here. And an hour there.

Plus of course the occasional hour at each other's home or workspace.

What's fascinated me about working like this is just how productive we are.

Which in turn has made me realise just how much time is wasted in agencies.

In fact I'd say that the average creative spends around 5 hours out of every working day doing something other than creative.

Meetings are a necessary evil. But agency folk seem to have far to many of them.

Most of them are to review work, complain about work, get a progress update on work, or generally talk about the work.

Such a waste of time.

Weird thing is it's taking me a while to get used to not having endless work meetings.

But I will. Don't you worry about that.