Friday 30 September 2011

Cool - Are you serious?


I have to admit I was surprised when the headline "Aston Martin is UK's coolest brand" appeared in my RSS feed.

Of course Aston Martin is cool.

James Bond saw to that when he made them cool about 45 years ago.

But in 2011?

Come on!

I reckon that if you took the badge off the bonnet and put an Aston in an expensive car line up 9 out of 10 people would fail to recognise it.

In fact the story in my RSS feed used a pic of the famous 60's James Bond Aston. Not a new one.

So how come it's been chosen as the coolest UK brand?

According to Stephen Cheliotis, chairman of the CoolBrands Expert Council;

"Cool is subjective and personal. But being identified as a Cool Brand by the British public and a panel of influential opinion formers implies it is a brand that most Brits wish to own."

Now I don't know about you but I reckon the Aston most Brits want to own isn't the current model. Cool as it may be.

I firmly believe the car they covet (and I do too) is the 1964 DB5 as featured in the Bond film Goldfinger.