Thursday 7 August 2008

The idea is just the beginning


I gave a presentation to a group of wannabe creatives last night.

All of them seemed keen and excited about our business and the opportunities it offers.

Before I fired up the powerpoint I got each of them to tell me a bit about themselves and why they wanted to get into the business.

Almost every one of them said that they wanted the chance to be creative at work.

I told them, as I tell every young person I mentor, that having ideas is often the easy part and that actually getting an idea produced is where the real skill lies.

When they asked me what they needed to do to help make their ideas happen, I told them they needed to get in front of the client as often as they could. And that this would help them to build a level of trust.

This afternoon I came across this quote from the always quotable David Ogilvy.

"In the modern world of business, it is useless to be a creative, original thinker unless you can also sell what you create."

Couldn't have said it better myself.