Monday 14 January 2008

Folio or museum piece?


A couple of very talented young kids came to show me their folio today.

Last time I'd seen their book I really liked it, because they had all sorts of ideas in it, not just print ads.

Today however their folio had changed. It had a heavy focus on print ads. In fact it was almost all print executions.

When I asked them why, they told me that the people they'd shown their folio to had said that in order to get a job they needed a simple folio of mostly print ads.

I cannot believe that people are giving out that kind of advice in 2008.

So what should a modern folio look like?

I know what I'd put in a folio, but it seems many of my peers disagree.

So who's right - predominantly print or a selection of ideas?

I took a look at Scamp's 'how to get a job' tips.

He's a senior creative at BBH in London. Here's what he had to say:

"Well, the answer to that used to be easy: 8 advertising campaigns, each consisting of 3 print ads, plus maybe an ambient execution or a TV storyboard.

But it's all changed now. If your book still looks like that, you're doing it wrong.

Your book must show compelling examples of how brands can exploit the digital space.

Heck, maybe your book shouldn't even be a book, but a website or a CD.

Having said all this, you've got to show you can do all the traditional media as well.

So yes, your book still needs to have lots of great print work, and the odd TV ad, if you want a job in a so-called above-the-line agency).

But more and more you need to demonstrate how to reach consumers in new ways.

That means new media, events, ideas for mobile games, TV shows, crazy shit... maybe even new products."

Sounds like Scamp and I are on the same wavelength.

How about you?

What do you think these aspiring advertising superstars should have in their folios?