Friday 2 February 2007

Turn off your computer kids

Computers. I love ‘em. I’d be lost without one to tell you the truth.

But when it comes to generating ideas and concepts, I tend to give the Mac a miss.

As far as I’m concerned if you want to get a big idea you need to use a big pad and a big pen.

For me that’s always an A3 and a black Pentel sign pen.

Only after I have an idea that I’m truly happy with would I even consider working it up on the Mac.

It’s personal preference obviously, but I often find hand drawn concepts are that little bit easier to work with when presenting to clients.

As an example here’s what W&K’s multi award winning St Wayne ad for Nike looked like at concept stage.


Nothing controversial or frightening about that was there?

If your concept is just a drawing it helps clients feel more involved. As if they’re a part of the creative process.

By presenting roughs you and they can discuss the idea and they can contribute to the final outcome.

In essence you have a smoother ride because you have allowed them to feel like part of the process.

You give them a sense of ownership. Which is funny, because it is their ad after all.

Here for those who missed it (all two of you) is how St Wayne looked when it was launched.